+ Reply to Thread

Thread: scotts 5 step program.. help

1. Join Date
    Feb 2003

scotts 5 step program.. help

hey all
    i have used scotts 5 step program on my lawn for 2 seasons. and since i have looked around on this site i have decided to switch to a different fert. i need somthing to kill dandylions and crabgrass along with any grub.. scotts kept the lawn green for a short amount of time due to the fast releise of nitrogen. what is a product that i am goin to get the same results or better from with a cheeeeper price?
    thanks for ur help andrew
    Andrew's Lawn Ranger
    Bucks County PA

2005 Chevy 2500HD with Meyer C-8
    1999 Dakota
    16ft dual axel trailer
    2001 bobcat ztr
    1999 ferris w/b
    Echo,shindaiwa,tanaka

Little Wonder vaccuum--- For Sale--- $800
    total of 3 hours on it

2. Join Date
    Feb 2003

another reason why i am not goin to be using scotts anymore is because of the price. its like 30-40 a bag that only covers 15,000 sq. ft.
    Andrew's Lawn Ranger
    Bucks County PA

1999 Dakota
    16ft dual axel trailer
    2001 bobcat ztr
    1999 ferris w/b
    Echo,shindaiwa,tanaka

total of 3 hours on it

3. Join Date
    Nov 2001
    The Scott's is very costly, I did a little testing a couple years back, and did not see any benefit to using the Scott's. Check and see if there is a Lesco service center near by. The PreM I'm using for pre-emerge control this year seems to be working good, and the cost is right as well. I'd recommend spraying the dandelions, it is more effective.
    Rich
    Davis Total Lawn Care
    www.davistotallawn.com
    TDA # 1543

dtlc logo

4. Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Andrew, I don't remember exactly where your at, but there's a Lesco right off of Street Rd. in Warrington area.

Let me know if you the phone #, I have thier biz card somehwere.
    Jonathan
    Makin' The Cut
    Lawn & Landscape Maintenance

5. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    thanks for the info rich and jon.. im just lookin for the most cost effictive fert
    now for another question

how many applications should i put down and of what kind ?
    Andrew's Lawn Ranger
    Bucks County PA

1999 Dakota
    16ft dual axel trailer
    2001 bobcat ztr
    1999 ferris w/b
    Echo,shindaiwa,tanaka

total of 3 hours on it

6. Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Just a quick correction, it's Warminster, not Warrington (I always mix those up).

I can't help ya much about fertilizing, I don't really do any of that, except a little on my lawn.

But Lescos prices are better on alot of stuff.
    I just bought a 50lb bag of seed for $55. Other places I went to were like $80 for 40lb bag!
    And thier starter fertilizer is $12 for a bag that covers 12K sq.ft.
    Jonathan
    Makin' The Cut
    Lawn & Landscape Maintenance

7. Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Lawnranger, give your local Lesco a call. They should be able to help you on setting up an application program, number of steps and timing for each. I have the program for my area, but it is not in front of me right now. Costwise, it is a whole lot cheaper and in my opinion it is better than the Scott's.
    Rich
    Davis Total Lawn Care
    www.davistotallawn.com
    TDA # 1543

dtlc logo

8. Join Date
    Apr 2003

Dandilions everywhere--

I have Dandilions everywhere they are choking out the lawn any suggestions. Grandular or liquid? I have to treat almost five acres. Can this be done cust effectively. This is my lawn not a commercial account.

Brian

9. Join Date
    Feb 2003

Re: Dandilions everywhere--

Originally posted by Army29thmp
    I have Dandilions everywhere they are choking out the lawn any suggestions. Grandular or liquid? I have to treat almost five acres. Can this be done cust effectively. This is my lawn not a commercial account.

Brian
    FIVE ACRES??? Do you ditch irrigate? Flood irrigate or God irrigate?

I can't imagine paying for the water to irrigate 5 acres that doesn't produce a crop....
    Mark
    I'm Green @ idahoaccounting.com

10. Join Date
    Feb 2003

rich....

thank u for all the helpfull info.........................
    i wil get on that once these dam lawns stop growing as fast as they are

andrew
    Andrew's Lawn Ranger
    Bucks County PA

1999 Dakota
    16ft dual axel trailer
    2001 bobcat ztr
    1999 ferris w/b
    Echo,shindaiwa,tanaka

total of 3 hours on it

11. Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Army29thmp,

If all you have are Dandelions, I'd treat with 2,4-D. Liquid works better than Granular.
    Rich
    Davis Total Lawn Care
    www.davistotallawn.com
    TDA # 1543

dtlc logo

12. Join Date
    Apr 2003
    My local Lesco has a 5 step program which seems to work well

13. Join Date
    Apr 2003

Green in Idaho

Green in Idaho,
    No I just purchased this house one month ago and it has almost 5 acres to it. While researching a mower to buy to mow this huge yard with some gently rolling hills the grass grew. I bought a Dixie XT3000 but it hasn't arrived yet, but the Dandilions have shown up everywhere. I have patches that have such a strangle hold that the bunches are one-two feet in diameter with individual dandilions everywhere. As I look out over the yard on at least three acres I see more yellow (almost) then green grass. It's obvious the previous owners did nothing to deal with the problem.
    I dont irrigate the yard at all.

Rich DTLC,
    If all you have are Dandelions, I'd treat with 2,4-D. Liquid works better than Granular.

TDA # 1543

WHere do I go to purchase this stuff, ( 2,4-D. Liquid works better than Granular), and who makes it. Can I get it at Home Depot or Lowes ? I checked I don't have a LESCO Service Center within 95 miles of me.

Brian

14. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    you can use the d/c as a sprayer. you can mail order this type of chemical also. call pbi gordon ( web search ) tell them you want trimec 992 or you can get fertilizer impregnated with weed control, some say it works some dont, it depends on your expectations. commercially i couldn't use it due to call backs, you can also use the chopper to spread fert ( jrco ) check for a local co-op or elevator for these products also..

15. Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Would be nice if you had a Lesco near you, they can help with all of this. One thing to remember though, if you go killing all your weeds(sounds like you have lots), you might be mowing dirt! 2,4-D will do the trick, as well as Momentum 21-0-12 Weed and Feed. HAS to go down with the weed blades WET! Otherwise, won't work. Per-M from Lesco works really well applying in late winter and again about a month or so after. Really helps out on broadleaf weeds and Crab Grass. Maybe if you call them, you could make the long drive once a year before the season starts? Home Cheapo has the Pre-M, more money there, but might be closer to you!

+ Reply to Thread